Stop Snoring Surgery As The Last Resort
Author Zizzur Staff. Published on October 17, 2011 - 1:22 am (435 views — 388 words
Whoever wants to go under the scalpel? Specifically, who want to have surgery so that snoring would be addressed when it is in fact characteristic of about half of the entire adult population. Snoring that has been medically complicated and which can compromise life must be the only alternatives to be considered for a stop snoring surgery.
The fundamental basis for performing surgery is to modify structural aberrations that are either life –threatening or to improve the quality of life. Amongst the notable procedures are:
* UPPP or Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty is the procedure where the uvula and other soft tissues in the throat are removed to keep them from vibrating when asleep.
* Modified UPPP is Laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty (LAUP). Due to use of laser LAUP is less invasive though still as painful. The purpose of this procedure is to make the airway wider by the surgical removal of uvula.
*CAUP or Cautery Assisted Uvulopalatoplasty is the removal of the uvula through cautery or use of heated electrodes. Comparably has the same effectiveness with LAUP and UPPP but not as painful.
* Radio Frequency Tissue Ablation (RFTA) or Somnoplasty is a procedure that uses radio frequency and shrinks uvula. Radio Frequency Tissue Ablation (RFTA) or Somnoplasty entails shrinking of uvula by use of radio frequency. It has limited claims and lack scientific review.
*Little is known about Coblation-Channeling which is a new procedure that also uses radio frequency in shrinking uvula.
*Tongue Suspension Procedure or Repose is the surgical procedure that attaches the back of the tongue to the lower jaw to keep it from falling into the back of the throat.
*In Genioglossus Tongue Advancement Surgery, a modification of the Repose Surgery, the bone in genioglossus, the mucle that prevents the tongue in a forward location, is stitched to the lower mandible by use of tiny screws.
*To stop or reduce the vibration of soft tissues in the palate, tiny woven pillars are used as implants to reinforce palate.
* Septoplasty or deviated septum surgery is a corrective surgery that places the nasal septum at the very middle of the nasal chamber.
* Tracheostomy procedure is the direct opening of the wind pipe and is regarded as a last-resort surgery.
Stop snoring surgery is a life-saving procedure that must be reserved as a last option to address life-threatening snoring.